Funny Girl - Regional - Alec Wilmart
Filed in: Regional
Alec Wilmart's combined book setup for Funny Girl at the Village Theatre in Issaquah, Washington.
"Combining the two parts on this show presented some interesting challenges"
“Stylistically, Funny Girl is a standard mix of Broadway 2-Beat, Waltz, and Big Band or Dixieland Jazz. Combining the two parts on this show presented some interesting challenges. Most notably, coordinating the simultaneous playing of time with the feet and left hand with the melody on bells or xylophone in the right hand. Either book by itself is fairly straightforward, but when combined becomes a bit of a high wire act.
The Overture, when combined, was particularly challenging. Many timpani tunings had to be executed while playing time on the kit or other instruments, and there were several quick switches between all the instruments, at extreme tempi. This show was a lot of fun to play, with notable songs such as, ‘People’ and ‘Don't Rain on My Parade’.”
- Ludwig 26” & 29” Copper Timpani
- Yamaha 250D Glockenspiel
- Yamaha MXL-32AF Xylophone
- 4 Piece “Jazz" kit: 20” x 16" Sonor Bass Drum, 12" and 14" Sonor Toms and a Yamaha 14” x 6.5" Vintage Snare
- Paiste Traditional Series 14” Hi-Hats
- Paiste Traditional Series 18" Crash Ride
- Zildjian K 20" Dark Ride
- Sabian AAX 18" Crash Ride
- Sabian 8" Splash
- LP Red Jam Block
- Toca Medium Cow Bell
- Alan Abel Large Triangle with Miller Machine
- Acme Siren Whistle
- Acme Slide Whistle
- Acme Thunderer Police Whistle (large)