How the Grinch Stole Christmas - Regional - Russ Nyberg
Filed in: Regional
Russ Nyberg's combined book setup for Dr Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas! at the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville, Tennessee.
"There are so many moments where a suspended cymbal roll or timpani hit is snuck into the middle of a groove."
"This version of the show is the reduced tour orchestration from the original orchestration used on Broadway. I'm covering both drum and percussion books, originally played by Broadway veteran percussionists Greg Landes and Dave Roth. The Yamaha DTX pad has been a life saver on being able to sound like 2 players. Often, I am hitting a gong patch while playing timpani or playing chime notes on top of a busy drum set part.
About 80% of the show is played with the 5A Multi Combo Sticks. There are so many moments where a suspended cymbal roll or timpani hit is snuck into the middle of a groove. It's been a real joy to play this show every year, as it has so many musical elements of big band, cartoon, orchestral and classic Broadway.
And playing a wonderful hall, like the Grand Ole Opry, has been a dream come true!"
- Yamaha Maple Custom (22" Bass Drum, 16", 13" and 12" Toms with Aquarian Texture Coated Heads)
- Pearl Reference 5.5" Maple Snare
- Yamaha Hardware
- DW 9000 BD Pedal
- DW 5000 Hi Hat Pedal
- Sabian 21" AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride
- Sabian 14" HHX Evolution Hats
- Sabian 16" AAX Studio Crash
- Sabian 18" AAX Studio Crash
- Sabian 10" HH splash
- Adams 26" and 29" Timpani
- Yamaha DTX Multi 12 Sampling Pad
- TreeWorks Tre35 Classic Chime
- Alan Abel Large and Small Triangles with Miller Machines
- Finger Cymbal
- LP Red Jam Block
- LP Large Cow Bell
- Caxixi Shakers (2)
- Innovative IP-5A Multi Sticks
- Innovative IP-L5A Legacy Series 5A sticks
- Innovative IP-5AT 5A/Timpani Combo Sticks
- Innovative GT-3 Medium Timpani Mallets
- Innovative GT-2 Medium Soft Timpani Mallets
- Innovative WBR-3 Medium Wire Wood Handle Brushes
- Innovative JC-2SC James Campbell Hard Suspended Cymbal Mallet
Russ is a proud endorser of Innovative Sticks and Aquarian Drumheads.